It’s not often that ladies want to lose their long lusty lash extensions, but it can happen sometimes.
5 reasons why you may consider eyelash extensions removal:
- You have a couple of lash extensions left and don’t intend on having an infill,
- You’ve had the wrong lash set put in,
- You’ve decided that you don’t like the long-lashed look (you’re crazy!),
- You’re experiencing pain, or
- The lashes have started poking in different directions.
If you’re fitting in one of the above categories, you don’t have to walk around with wonky looking lashes or bearing the pain. Lash extensions are just as easy to remove as they are to put on – if you know what you’re doing, that is.
In this article, we’ll talk about:
- How eyelash extensions work,
- DIY lash extension removal and why it’s unsafe,
- How to safely remove your eyelash extensions, and
- Typical lash extension complaints.
How eyelash extensions work
Before you consider removing your lash extensions (especially if you’re thinking about doing it at home), it’s a good idea to know how exactly lash extensions work. The adhesive used to stick eyelash extensions onto your lashes is stronger than the standard adhesive used with temporary falsies.
With lash extensions, the adhesive is designed to stick to your natural lashes until they grow out (and fall out). That’s what makes lash extensions stay on so well – they’re designed to be difficult to remove!
Why you shouldn’t remove lash extensions at home
A quick search on Google will bring up plenty of DIY home remedies for removing your eyelash extensions yourself, but we highly recommend you don’t. Unless you want to risk damaging or breaking your natural eyelashes in the process – and what’s the use in that, when the idea was to have more eyelashes and not less?
The truth is that there’s really no household, ‘home remedy’ product out there that is strong enough to safely remove the lash extension adhesive while keeping your natural eyelashes intact. All come with a risk of damaging your lashes. If you still feel like you want to try some tricks out, whatever you do, never try to tweeze, pluck, pick, or pull off your eyelash extensions.
The best solution: Go back to your technician.
The best advice we can give you when it comes to removing eyelash extensions is to go back to your technician for a professional removal. Lash technicians are experts at what they do and will have all the necessary products and equipment to safely remove your eyelash extensions without risking damage to your natural eyelashes. In this instance, it’s probably best to go back to your original technician who put the lash extensions in.
Experiencing painful lash extensions?
If you want to remove your eyelash extensions because they feel painful, then it might not be the best idea to return to the original technician. Depending on the sensation you’re feeling, the lash extensions may have been improperly put in. In that case, you probably don’t want to return to that salon.
1. If it’s a slight pin-pricking sensation: This could simply mean that one or two of your natural lashes stuck together during the first application. If this is the case, it’s totally fine to return to the original technician who put them in.
They can check through your lashes for any that might be stuck together, and you might not even need to have the lashes removed! The technician can separate the lashes for you and off you go.
2. If the pain is significant and you desperately want them removed: Eyelash extensions should never cause any pain, and if they are, it’s usually due to using too much adhesive or not properly isolating the lashes in an application. Have a look at your lash line and check whether you see any separation in between your individual lashes.
If you notice a thick line of black clumped lashes near the base, or you can’t see & separate each individual eyelash, then it’s likely your extensions weren’t put in properly. This kind of situation typically shows a lack of sufficient training or very bad technique. For your own safety, we’d recommend seeing a different technician in this case.
At Whiplash we have a demonstrated history of proficient technique and high-quality application. If you need to have your lash extensions removed for any reason, drop by our salon in Sutherland Shire and let us help!
Or if you’re more interested in having lashes put in than taken out, we’re offering all new clients 15% off a set of eyelash extensions. So come to say hi!